EUA has today (Saturday 25th October) presented details of a major new initiative designed to improve the provision of lifelong learning in Europe’s universities and help moves to widen participation in higher education across Europe.
It calls on universities to make 10 clear commitments to lifelong learning:
• Embedding concepts of widening access and lifelong learning in their institutional strategies;
• Providing education and learning to a diversified student population;
• Adapting study programmes to ensure that they are designed to widen participation and attract returning adult learners;
• Providing appropriate guidance and counselling services;
• Recognising prior learning;
• Embracing lifelong learning in quality culture;
• Strengthening the relationship between research, teaching and innovation in a perspective of lifelong learning;
• Consolidating reforms to promote a flexible and creative learning environment for all students;
• Developing partnerships at local, regional, national and international level to provide attractive and relevant programmes;
• Acting as role models of lifelong learning institutions
The Charter is available to download in English or French.